TR7/8 CV JOINT

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (British Car List)
Subject: TR7/8 CV JOINT
From: Louis-Charles Lavallee <lcl@io.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 1994 10:49:07 -0400 (EDT)
So far so good with attempt # 3 at installing a suitable boot cover on the
propshaft's front CV joint. You will recall that the TR7/8 propshafts have
two non serviceable CV joints (1 in earlier 4 spds). So if you loose a cdn $10
rubber boot, you are supposed to buy a cdn $800 propshaft!

We first tried a "Unifit" boot that is supposed to work on anything. It
lasted about 20 kms before ripping and flying off. Then I measured my
neighbour's Omni's CV joint boot. The diameters of both ends looked good. We
tried one. It lasted about 5 kms. The trend was definitely not as desired.

We finally put our hands on an Austin's Mini inner CV joint boot. The key
problem was lenght. The Mini's boot is made so that the small end is inside
the big end, kind of inside out as compared to normal designs. The clamp on
the small end is inside the boot. The big end is as usual.

I could not believe that we had to crawl under the car yet another time.
Much quicker the third time! The two 17mm wrenches were still on top of the
tool pile in the garage. About an hour, all said and done. It could have
been faster with four wrenches. Jody could have undone one end while I was
undoing the other, instead of poking me with dried Day Lillies.

And we are now looking for a Rover SD1... Any CV joints on the propshaft?

Louis-Charles

lcl@io.org  Louis-Charles Lavallee, Toronto, Canada.
"I am not sure Jody wants me to have a British car because it may divert
some of my time (and hers) away from fixing her 1980 TR7"