Re: Warning: TRF bodge

To: strai001@maroon.tc.umn.edu
Subject: Re: Warning: TRF bodge
From: skip@automatrix.com (Skip Montanaro)
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 94 17:20 EDT
Kevin Strait writes about the nightmare he's having with the TR-6 pressure
differential valve he got from TRF.  The one in my TR-250 leaks as well (and
the price on the TR-250 part is a nightmare also).  Here are some possible
options.  Note that I've not pursued any of them yet.

    1. I heard that TRF does sell a repair kit for TR-6's.  There's nothing
       in my TR-250 catalog, so perhaps the 6 and the 5/250 are somehow
       different.

    2. Scrounge a working one from another 6 or 250.  The GT-6 valve is
       different, but perhaps you could adapt one.  It's bigger, but not
       horrendously so.  It is brass at least.  (I almost tried this
       approach.)

    3. Call Apple Hydraulics or White Post Restorations.  They both
       resleeve/restore master/slave/brake cylinders and so forth.  Perhaps
       they can handle the valve.  At least they might be able to locate the
       O-rings.

    4. Disassemble it and take the piston, barrel and shot O-rings to a
       hardware or auto parts store or store that sells air compressor
       supplies and see if they have an O-ring of the proper dimension.  If
       it is just a pair of O-rings I would be surprised if a helpful person
       at TRF (hint, hint) or Moss (double hint, Dana :-) couldn't track
       something down for you, even if they don't currently supply a kit...

Now TRF should know that there are two or more of us out there with leaking
pdwa's.  Maybe they'll solve the problem properly. :-)

In any case, let me know how you solve your problem...

--
Skip Montanaro                                             skip@automatrix.com
Automatrix - World-Wide Computing Solutions         http://www.automatrix.com/