Any Met owners out there?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Any Met owners out there?
From: harrold@INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU (Dick Harrold)
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 1994 10:13:14 -0500
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 94 10:39:52 PST
From: Daren Stone <Daren_Stone@ccm.sc.intel.com>
Subject: Re: Any Met  owners out there?

===== some text deleted =====

     And not to split hairs, but I think they made them until '62,
albeit in very few numbers. I also think the last two years they went to
Lockheed brakes instead of the Girling units of earlier cars.

===== start here =====

Daren  -  The Met idea began back when George Mason was still in charge of
Nash Motors, probably about '48/'50.  The Met first appeared the same year
Nash purchased Hudson, 1954, with Met production ceasing sometime in the
spring of '61, however Metropolitans continued to be sold well into '62.
My Met was first titled as a '62 but is actually a '61 for obvious reasons.
 The early Mets carried either the Nash or the Hudson name on the grill and
an "N" or an "H" on the wheel caps.

Unfortunately the Met was only "available" in showrooms and wasn't promoted
by AMC.  The car remained basically the same from start to finish with only
detail changes here and there.  There have been all kinds of arguments
about how successful the Met could have been if it had been promoted.
Could it have been a real competitor had it been aggressively marketed?
Who knows?  As one former AMC official put it, it was the only car he ever
saw that could rust while still in the showroom!

Dick

Dick Harrold
HARROLD@INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU
Integrated Technologies
Indiana University at Indianapolis (IUPUI)