Re: Bugeye Sprite starter quest

To: Rob Reilly <reilly@admail>
Subject: Re: Bugeye Sprite starter quest
From: Chip Old <feold@umd5.umd.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 1994 03:18:41 -0400 (EDT)
On 18 Oct 1994, Rob Reilly wrote:

> A guy I met on Sunday has a bugeye Sprite, which he is restoring. He says he
> tried converting it to negative ground but the starter turns backwards.
> Is this possible?
> If so, what to do?
> Disclaimer: I don't know if he's mistaken, and I haven't seen the car.

Does this guy sell famous bridges as a sideline?  He's pulling your leg.
In a typical Lucas-equipped older BritCar, converting to negative ground
is a simple matter of reversing the battery connections, reversing the
ammeter connections, and repolarizing the generator.  The starter motor
can't run backwards.  Later cars can be a bit more complicated if they
have electronic tachometers and other polarity-sensitive equipment, but
his Bugeye isn't in that category.

Chip Old              1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland    1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily transportation)
feold@umd5.umd.edu