Powder Coating

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Powder Coating
From: tim.lamb@ml.csiro.au (Tim Lamb)
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 1994 13:42:56 +1100
I am considering having a Moke body powdercoated. I know that the finish
will be "orange-peely" compared to normal automotive finishes, but the
sticking quality and wear resistance appeals to me, particularly in areas
of the body that get a lot of foot traffic (its difficult to get in or out
without stepping on the wide box sections at the side).

Powder coating is applied by charging the object being painted and the
powder spray with different polarities,  does it need bare metal to stick
to, i.e. will previously painted or body filled areas get painted evenly?
Does anyone know how carefully the surface needs to be sanded, ie what
grade of abrasive paper is required?

Thanks
Tim