Re: Stereotype/restoration quandry

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stereotype/restoration quandry
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 94 11:02:53 EDT
Ray Gibbons writes:

>BUT---you can buy a whole new body for around $4K (I assume that is true
>of early B's as well as later ones).  That would be easier, by far, I
>should think, and certainly not a lot more expensive than having someone
>else rebuild the body of your car.

Nope.  The car in question (Vin 47xx) is of the highly sought after and well
regarded "pull handle" B's (*The* MG to own, being the B in its purest and
most lovely form, frequently immitated, never equalled).  The shells that
are available are of the lesser "MkII" ilk, with different door skins,
different tranny tunnel, alluminum hood (bonnet) and also with side and
backup lights (Ugh!, such ugly protruberances!  Mark of the devil, I say!).
As it is, it is hard to find door skins for these more than splendid cars.
The rest of the stuff is nearly perfectly the same (body shell wise), so the
vast majority of repair pannels are emminently suitable.  In fact, if I was
a repair pannel, I would much prefer being welded to one of those fine early
MkI Bs, than to some other... thing.

Will "humble and loveable" Zehring
(GHN 3 L 6055, aka "old whitesides")