Why buy overseas?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Why buy overseas?
From: TVRVixen@aol.com
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 94 00:28:11 EDT
Here is my question (I am not trying to start a flame war):

I have seen a number of posts indicating that US owners of British cars have
been ordering some of their parts directly from England. As I have had real
good experiences with US companies selling British parts here, I wonder why
bother?. I see the following problems with ordering from England.

1. Customs, I had to get a customs broker once and it was expensive.

2. If you get a wrong, defective or inferior part, returning it is a problem

3. Telephone charges. No 800 numbers.

4. Time lag. I am impatient and don't plan ahead well.

5. Payment. What is a Barclay card anyway?

6. The language barrier, I don't speak English english. I had a professor
from England once and I did not do well in his class, I couldn't understand
him.

 What circumstances have made it necessary or advantageous to bypass the US
companies? Of those of you who have tried it, was it worth the effort?

Don