Re: healey vapor lock

To: WILSONHB@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu
Subject: Re: healey vapor lock
From: Chip Old <feold@umd5.umd.edu>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 1994 12:53:15 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 1 Oct 1994 WILSONHB@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu wrote:

> Wow.  Thank you for the detailed response.  The car begins doing this
> _at_ 70-80 mph; it acts as if it's runnin on three cylinders--there's
> clearly some kind of combustion going on, but it isn't enough to main-
> tain the speed, which drops to 40ish.  If I take the car out of gear
> and rev the engine a few times, often it "recovers" and will accelerate
> normally--even past 80 if I have the nerve.  Upon this recovery, black
> smoke exits from the tailpipe--one significant billow of it, then normal.
> The next time this happens, I'll try the choke trick and diagnose from
> there.  In the meantime, next weekend I'll begin to systematically go
> through all the things you mentioned.  If these symptoms clarify the
> problem at all for you, please let me know.

Yes, your new description does clarify things.  I assumed (incorrectly)
that the problem occurred at slower speeds _after_ you had been tearing up
the highway.  Since it happens _while_, not after, heat could still be a
factor but first I would look into other causes of fuel starvation
(partially plugged fuel lines, weak fuel pump, etc.).  Lots of other SOLs
have given you good ideas to try already, so I won't rehash.

Let us all know how it turns out.

Chip Old              1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland    1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily transportation)
feold@umd5.umd.edu