Re: computer nerd -> MG nerd

To: JWisland@aol.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: computer nerd -> MG nerd
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 94 09:49:16 -0700
In message <9408260504.tn309677@aol.com>  writes:

> Over the years, I have become what others call a power-user in
> Macintosh-land.  Alas, I have yet to get my first MG....reluctant to put that
> amount of time and elbow grease ;) into it.
>
> Tell me why I should! (Can I really be satisfied just smiling when I see them
> drive by?)
>
> How long did folks think seriously about geeting such a car before their
> first?
>
> In connection,
>
> Judith Winter
> JWisland@aol.com
> because I live on an island, between Seattle & British Columbia.

Judith,
Personally I don't like working on cars.  But I do think its a kick to drive a
British sports car through windy mountain roads.  They have enough quirks that
you ether get discusted and purchase a new Japanese cookie cutter clone, or fall
in love with the car because of the quirks.  I think its similar to the natural
tendency to root for the underdog.

I have three cars.  The Land Rover was my ranch car, carrying hay and livestock
untill I sold the animals a couple of years ago.  Now she's semi-retired and
mainly is the dog taxi and motel room when I'm out on the road.  My TR3A is my
good weather fun roadster (Or will be again when she gets back on the road).

My MGBGT is my practical rainy or cold weather commute car.

One thing I noticed about the Land Rover and TR is that people sense that they
are something special and wave all the time.  They catch me in parking lots and
ask questions about the cars.  After a while you get the sense that you are
driving around a pice of history that means something to many people, and you
are more of a custodian of these cars than their owners.  I almost never get
this with the MG.  I suspect thats because there are so many MGBs on the road
today.

Why should you get one?  maybe you should, maybe you should not.
If you're the type that gets irritated when faced with things that break; who
loves creature comforts and expects things to be just so; who is more concerned
that your makeup is right and fresh, that a hair is not out of place and your
clothese are just right, then old British sports cars are NOT for you.

But if your the kind that is tired of same-oh same-oh, who likes quirky things,
likes to feel nature (and doesn't mind spending most of the day getting tangles
out of your hair); if your the kind of person who stands on the beach facing
gale force winds just because you love to feel alive; who can appriciate old
things and are willing to futz around with it frequently to make sure they stay
in good condition, an old British sports car may be for you.

Please understand that if you get a British sports car you will be wet, cold,
and inconvienced.  You will get greasy and learn more about their maintnence
that you have ever thought you could..or spend a lot of money having it brought
to a shop frequently.... or just have the car fall appart around your ears and
sell it off when it becomes a complete disaster.

What an LBC pays back is emotions. A wind in your hair, close to nature exciting
feeling of being alive.  Its kind of like the difference of watching something
on television or going out and doing it.  Your ether in the environment feeling
it or sitting protected away from the world, safe and comfortable.

If you're the kind who thinks sailing on a small sail boat is more fun than
spending a day on a luxury ship, knowing that before and after you sail you need
to do certain maintenence on the saolboat & its rigging, verses the ship that
you go in sit down thn walk away from, then maybe a LBC is for you.

LBCs are not for everyone.  It depends on the kind of person you are and the
kinds of experiences you enjoy and memorys you like to relive.

Take care,

TeriAnn Wakeman        Large format photographers look at the world
twakeman@apple.com     upside down and backwards
LINK: TWAKEMAN
408-974-2344                         TR3A - TS75519L,
                       MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, Land Rover 109 - 164000561