Re: That's not a leak! It's *pouring* out!

To: streeter@sanders.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: That's not a leak! It's *pouring* out!
From: LESNYD@ccmail.monsanto.com
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 94 13:12:40 CST

Last night was the first night I worked on my "new" TR6 since leaving
on a business trip two weeks ago.  So, rather than tackle the list of
things that really need to be done on the car, I figured I'd tackle
something simple and fun, like an oil & filter change.

     Welcome to the club of TR oil changers. This is an elite group,
     which, at regular intervals, attempts to defy the laws of
     physics by changing the oil in their cars. Please note, the
     oil changing experience is just the same for TR6, TR250, and
     GT6 owners!

Seven orientations later, I decide to take off the clutch slave
cylinder to get the oil filter canister out.  (There has *GOT* to be a
better way, does anybody have any suggestions?)

     I have a suggestion - get a spin-on filter adapter. This will make
     your life infinitely easier.

Two agonizing seconds until oil light goes out, oil pressure gauge
still hasn't moved, three more seconds, and the gauge shoots up to
65psi!  Yay!  That wasn't so bad, and that's more pressure than we had
before!  Well, the shop manual says to check for leaks, let's take a
look.  Oh my gosh, that isn't a leak, oil is *pouring* out from
between the filter and engine!  Quickly turn off engine.  Oh boy, at
least a quart of oil on the floor, in about 15 seconds, and it's time
for dinner!  Oh well, some oil-dry on the floor and a basin under the
continuing leak will hold things off until after dinner.

     This is also a completely normal experience for the Triumph 6
     cannister filter. Again, I recomment a spin on adapter!

Back out of garage to let the car warm up fully, clean up mess in
garage, and then go for a test drive!  Oh, the bliss of a nighttime
drive through our neighborhood!  So *this* is why I bought this car!

     Kind of makes it all worthwhile, don't it?

Now, on to the clutch!  (and stop lights, and back-up lights, and...)

--ken

Kenneth B. Streeter        | ARPA: streeter@sanders.com
Lockheed Sanders           | UUCP: ...!uunet!sanders.com!streeter
PTP2-A001                  |
65 River Road     | Voice: (603) 885-9604
Hudson, NH 03051           | Fax:   (603) 885-0631

     Larry Snyder
     St. Louis, MO