Re: British Cars Digest #1329 Tue Aug 16 01:15:02 MDT 1994

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #1329 Tue Aug 16 01:15:02 MDT 1994
From: searle@indigo.ucdavis.edu (Philip A. Searle)
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 94 10:58:55 -0700
>Date: 15 Aug 1994   8:39 EDT
>From: whs70@cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
>Subject: Re: TR-4A with an alternator

Bill Sohl mentioned:

>Having been around the TR marque for some 30 years now, I've yet
>to see any TR-4A which had an alternator as original equipment.
>I won't say it absolutely wasn't an option, but I'd have expected
>by now to have seen or heard of that before now.
>
>So...I'd treat the comment in the Piggott book with a high
>degree of uncertainty unless someone can come up with supporting
>factory documentation (i.e. sales brochure listing the option,
>spec sheet/instruction manual for the alternator, etc.)

A couple of years ago my brother passed on to me a genuine TR4A parts
manual he was giving by a bloke clearing out his garage in England. It was
in loose leaves in the original (light blue?) ring binder. Also included
were several letters to Triumph dealers listing modifications and new part
numbers etc (Nice 'Standard-Triumph' headed notepaper!).

Anyway, being a TR4 owner I swopped the TR4A parts book for a genuine TR4
workshop manual, at a swapmeet in Plymouth CA. The recipient was Wayne (?)
(owner of 'Triumphs Only' in San Jose) and he pointed out one of the last
pages in the parts book which contained a diagram of the TR4A conversion
parts.  From what I recall there were part numbers listed and the section
was probably included as an appendix.

Can't be of much help since that was the first time I'd looked at that page
and I swopped it 10 secs later. Maybe someone else out there has a parts
book they can consult. Maybe it was a UK option only (more dark & rainy
nights).

I kept the letters. They're full of trivia on a variety of Triumph models. eg:

"TR250/5/6 towing equipment: part nos. 214681 and 216389 respectively.
Stocks will be available shortly".
(3rd June 1969).

"Triumph 2.5 P.I. speedometers for Police cars only (3.45 axle used)" (2nd
June 1969). !

regards

Phil Searle
Davis CA