MGB Brake Lines

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB Brake Lines
From: howersl@ttown.apci.com (Scott Hower)
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 94 20:06:06 EDT
FYI,

Removed all of the brake hydraulics from the 'B this past weekend.
What I found was not a pretty sight... you know, rounded fittings
(most with vice grip marks), rusty threads, frozen bleeders, etc.
One of the pipes- the long one that begins it's journey on the left
inner fender and snakes its way along the crossmember to the right
side caliper- had some really nasty looking pits all over it the
bottom of it.  Dig out the Moss catalog. Damn. We've all felt that
sinking feeling (usually after we've mangled some priceless sundry bit)
no price listing...  Ok don't panic, call the Circle S down the street.
PARTS GUY:  a brake line for a 73 what??  what's a bubble flare?? Ha Haaa.
oh, by the way, we've having a sale on chevy headers...

I thought I'd just carefully cut out the 12-18 inches of really bad line
and use a couple of unions.  Sounds like a lot of needless work, someone
somewhere must sell these damn things.  I've seen new ones on MGB's at
shows, so they MUST be available somewhere.  Sure enough.  I was flipping
through Hemmings looking for a steering rack for my fiances 944 turbo.
Sad story...  What the heck, why not look in the M section, just for fun.
Right there in black and white (er, grey):  CNC machine bent OEM steel
brake lines.  The details:  Classic Tube and Line, 1-800-882-3711.  I
spoke with a guy named Jim who quoted me a price for PRE-BENT brake line
sets: $175 in steel, $200 in stainless.  Individual pipes are also
available:  $30 for the offender listed above, $35 in stainless.  I like
the idea od PRE-BENT, preflared, just flush and install.  Has anyone ever
dealt with these folks??  Are there any other suppliers of pre-bent tubes?

Scott Hower - 73 MGB, 92 Accord