Re: 67 Spit colors; mph to rpm calculations

Subject: Re: 67 Spit colors; mph to rpm calculations
From: Andy Mace <AMACE@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 1994 09:51:45 PDT
Margaret:

Laurel is a fairly dark green. Seems to me it wasn't offered on Triumphs
until about 1969, but I could be wrong. Other colors probably available
about that time (I don't have any sales lit. for 67s to confirm this)
would be signal red, valencia blue, Sebring (?) white, some almost-BRG, a
yellow (probably Primrose or Jasmine), powder blue (can't remember the
Triumph name), and black. Perhaps someone else here has some
1967-specific literature for more accurate names. Also, some better
autobody supply places might have color charts for Triumph for that period.

Regarding mph/rpm calculations:

Spitfire/Herald/early Vitesse owners: relax. Don't try to measure
anything with milemarkers and stopwatches. It's OK. The 20mph/1000rpm
rule for big-engined Triumphs doesn't work for us. Depending on the car,
our ratio ranges from about 13.9mph/1000rpm for a single-carb 948 Herald
(4.875:1 axle) to about 15.9 or so mph/1000 rpm for the common 4.11:1
axle on most later Heralds, some Vitesses and a large majority of Spitfires.

Actually, on some OD-equipped Triumphs, the ratio can go as high as
22mph/1000rpm. As always, YMMV.

I will say, though, that over many years of owning Triumphs, I usually
have found the tach to be a more realistic indicator of road speed, if
only because the needle didn't bounce around so much!

Andy Mace, who needs only a 3.63:1 Spitfire diff. to complete my
collection of small Triumph rear axle gear ratios, somewhere SE of
Albany, NY....