Re: Bearing Clearances???

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bearing Clearances???
From: jeb@mtgbcs.mt.att.com (James Beckman +1 908 957 3896)
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 1994 10:34:33 +0500
>WRONG. If you need to measure the bearing clearance to this sort of
>tolerance, you need the above-mentioned 'Plasti-Gauge'.  . . .

We're talking about measuring the end-play or float of the crankshaft
here, right?  That's measured parallel to the rotational axis of the
crank.  Plastigage works because a round piece of magic plastic is
deformed when it is placed between a bearing and a journal, and the
bearing cap is then tightened.  I don't see how that can be done in
this case.  Plastigage is certainly handy, but I'd like to know the
technique for using it here.

It still seems to me the simplest measurement is to put a dial
indicator on any convenient vertical crankshaft surface, push the
crank hard one way and then the other, and note the difference
between the two readings.  No absolute measurement needed, since
(as Einstein used to say) it's all relative.

Jim Beckman   AT&T, Middletown, NJ  1955 A-H BN1   jeb@mtgbcs.att.com