Re: MGB sputters and dies

To: sol <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB sputters and dies
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 1994 00:06:29 -0400 (EDT)
>I have a 79 MGB that has developed a rather irritating problem.  When I
>step on the gas it will occasionally sputter and die.  It began doing this
>several weeks ago and seems to have increased in regularity.

 From the description, the most suspect components are often not original. So
I must ask... what kind of 79 MGB do you have? Stromberg, SU, or Weber?
Allison, Pirrana, Lumnition, or points? 23D, 25D, 45D, or Mallory distributor?
etc. etc.

 Now for the first from-the-hip guess. Check the wiring from the distributor
body to the trigger unit (points, whatever) for breaks or fraying. Moving
the throttle changes the vacuum, which moves the vacuum advance, which flexs
these wires

   Randy