Gasket Sealers

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Gasket Sealers
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 1994 11:05:51 -0700
Might just as well add my opinion.

Five or six years ago I had an air cooled VW engine rebuilt
professionally.  The rebuilder used silicone based gasket sealers
throughout the engine and on the case half seams.  For about the first
five oil changes I found tons of this stuff trapped in the oil screen.
Maybe it was incorrectly applied but being on the cautious side I'm
inclined to never use this stuff inside any engine I rebuild.  I'll stick
with Permatex.

A while back when I was asking about gas proof gasket sealers someone
suggested a goop made by Yamaha.  Never tried it but maybe it would be
worth looking into.

Roland