Re: shipwright's disease (was: out of control)

To: tjhiggin@ingr.com, british-cars@autox.team.net, SOL@apple.com
Subject: Re: shipwright's disease (was: out of control)
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 94 16:55:11 -0700
In message <199408171818.AA04673@alpine.b17a.ingr.com> T.J. Higgins writes:
> Will Z. wrote:
> > > so let me try again (who actually discoverd shipwright's disease?)
>
> TeriAnn wrote:
> > Shipwrights disease.... I first read about it in 1986, or '87.  I was
> > mentioning
> > some work I was doing on the TR3 when someone on this list (yes there were
> > some
> > of us here back then)

snip

> The earliest reference to shipwright's/fitter's disease that I could
> find in the archives is from SOL #315:
>
> # Date: Mon, 6 Jan 92 09:18:47 -0700
> # From: Wayne Angevine <angevine@badger.Colorado.EDU>
> # Subject: Joke
> #
> # >From this month's Wooden Boat magazine:
> #
> # Q:  How many shipwrights does it take to change a lightbulb?
> #
> # A:  As long as you're changing the bulb, you really ought to
> #     replace that fixture, and the wire is chafing a bit there,
> #     and that junction box is pretty funky, and it's mounted on
> #     rotten post...
> --
> T.J. Higgins     | tjhiggin@ingr.com         | (205) 730-7922
> Intergraph Corp. | Mapping Sciences Division | Huntsville, AL, USA

It dates well back before there started being a digest.  But I'm glad that the
basic story is archived.

TeriAnn Wakeman        Large format photographers look at the world
twakeman@apple.com     upside down and backwards
LINK: TWAKEMAN
408-974-2344                         TR3A - TS75519L,
                       MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, Land Rover 109 - 164000561