MGA frame repairs

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGA frame repairs
From: mhabich@genesis.nred.ma.us (Michael Habich)
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 1994 21:21:17 -0700 (PDT)
Al,

Been there, done that.  I agree with Ray:
--  Distortion no problem.  An MGA frame isn't "sheet metal" in the sense
that the fenders are.  Crank up the heat and go for it.
--  The frame doesn't need extra strength.
--  Plating over old metal=rust trap.

Another problem:  if you plate over the existing rail you'll have to trim the
floorboards to fit.

I had the luxury of having a donor frame from which I could extract inner
frame sections.  It's easy to grind through the welds on the top and bottom
of the frame with an angle grinder and to pop the inner and outer top hat
sections apart.  (Do one side at a time and the frame stays remarkably stiff,
even on a rotisserie.)  The weld is easily duplicated using a MIG
welder--the filler makes up for the metal removed by grinding.

Although you don't have donors, Anglo Parts in Belgium now makes at least
the section from just in front of the rectangular crossmember to the rise
near the back of the rear floorboards.  This is the top hat cross section
(from top weld to bottom) and is available for left or right/inside or
outside (ie, 4 different parts).  Wish I'd known about these--it took me
about 4 hours apiece to get these off the old frame and clean them up.  I
haven't dealt with Anglo, but hear good things about them.

Doggonit, Al.  Get your tail down here and I'll show you how it worked.

Good luck,
Mike

Mike Habich                     1500 roadster, neatly stored in shoeboxes
N Reading, MA
mhabich@genesis.nred.ma.us