TR6 Clutch Problems

To: streeter@sanders.com, flarsen@uclink.berkley.edu
Subject: TR6 Clutch Problems
From: Michael Bayrock <mbrock@gov.nt.ca>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 94 13:36:58 MDT
The continuing saga of working on an friend's arctic TR6 ...

Well, it's been a week, and I have been under the TR6 more than a
couple of times.  The latest news in the saga is that I discovered
what the biggest problem was.  I had installed the clutch slave cylinder
on the wrong side of the engine backing plate/mounting hole.

This had the effect of pulling the slave further away from the clutch
actuating lever, therefore causing no return pressure on the
sc piston (which proceeded to leave the sc housing).

The fix was to reinstall the sc, putting the end with the hose and
bleed bolt thru the engine backing plate.  I have been fitting the
sc by putting the rubber seal end thru the mounting hole first.

BTW, the Haynes manual is not clear on this at all.  One drawing
shows the sc fittment one way, and another shows the fitment the
other.

We are now experiencing the same problems that Ken Streeter describes:
a difficult-to-use clutch that sometimes doesn't disengage.  I will
try Flemming Larsen's bleeding technique (detach and let gravity bleed
it) to see if that makes any difference.

On a side note, just to get the TR6 mobile, I had to mount the sc rod
on the TOP hole found on the clutch actuating arm.  It works, but the
alleged air in the system still makes life difficult.

On another side note, thanks to Fleming, Roland, Ken, and Kevin for
your comments and support.  Muchly appreciated.

Michael
mbrock@inukshuk.gov.nt.ca