Colways, Shell Rally

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (british-cars@autox.team.net)
Subject: Colways, Shell Rally
From: Marcel Chichak <chichm@tibalt.supernet.ab.ca>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 1994 20:07:54 MDT
@LURK_MODE=OFF

yesterday gerry@hostel.lincroftnj.ncr.com asked regarding Colway Tyres:

>Uuum what are you going to use the Colways for ? which Colways ?

Since they're for the Mini they'll be the only 165x70x10 they make: "P3
Red" whatever that is! Like you say I'll FAX Demon Tweeks and get their
word on what they're really good for. The rally itself is mostly on paved
roads with a few special sections on forestry trunk roads, high up in the
Rockies. I hope the Colways are the answer, there's not much available
for Mini's these days. Well, there's Yoko's, but not on an historic car!

The Minilites arrived! My cost: $145 ea, not much more than GB
lookalikes for $130 ea.

>What is this rally about ? is it Historic rallying as done in Europe?

The Shell 4000 rally was a gruelling FIA sanctioned event run from
1963-68. It was started from either Vancouver or Montreal and ran to the
other city, 4000 Miles. It was, and is, in the same league as the Monte
Carlo and Mille Miglia: historic rallying at its best. The revived event
is open  to cars 25+ years old with ORIGINAL equipment to be run in the
spirit of the past event. It's still FIA sanctioned.

This year's rally started in Calgary, went NW to British Columbia, SE to
Lethbridge, East to Saskatchewan, then NW back to Calgary. ~2000 Km in
total over 2 days. It was the end of April and it was still snowing in
Banff when the cars arrived.

The '95 event will be in September and will be ~2500 Km. Gradually over
the next few years the organizer will extend the event to ~4000 Km over
4 days. Damnit I'm gonna run this thing!

@LURK_MODE=ON

*Marcel Chichak  Certified Mini Nut | Go in deeper, come out  *
*voice (403)466-6004                |harder and come from     *
*Edmonton, Alberta, Canada          |behind!, That's what it's*
*chichm@tibalt.supernet.ab.ca       |like to race a Mini!     *