Re: Drop your Top if you're British!

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Drop your Top if you're British!
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 94 07:51:10 EDT
Berry K writes:

>>I saw 25 with the top up (including 2 with the hardtop installed) and 12 with
>>the top down; about a 2:1 ratio.
>>
>>EVERY LBC DH I saw had the H D'd!  (DH= Drophead...)

Okay, first confession: I own a M***a in addition to my lbc's so perhaps I
can comment:

It really does take about 20 seconds to drop the miata top (and you can do
it on the fly, so to speak), so either those 'top up' miata drivers are
*incredibly* lazy or they bought the wrong car (i.e. they melt when they get
wet or they are deeply worried about UV radiation).  On the other hand, it
takes about 3-5 mins. to drop and fold (properly) the MGB top.  I have to
pull over to do it, and to fold and remove the frame too!  So I might
suggest that once the thing is down people are disinclined to put it back
up.  I say that with affection, now, don't misunderstand.  When I get my top
down, I'd just as soon keep it down.

Still and all, no good explanation for those timid Miata drivers.  What I
really don't understand is the ones with the hard top on.  THIS IS AUGUST in
the northern hemisphere.  My hard top goes on in December!

Will "head in the clouds" Zehring