Re: shaving head on TR6 Paul

To: creichle@mednet.med.miami.edu
Subject: Re: shaving head on TR6 Paul
From: Dick Nyquist <dickn@hpspdbc.vid.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 94 10:24:54 PDT
|      Potential problems are:
|      If you shave too much off you could run into valve hitting piston
|      problems

It's normal if you are making significant changes to cam lift or combustion
chamber size to assemble the engine with a lumpof clay (or some such) on top
of the piston and crank the engine over by hand to check clearances. The valves
when opening will leave am impression on the clay

|      Also, if you shave too much off you can reach a point where you will
|      not be able to adjust your valves any more. I heard of a case where
|      someone did this and had to have custom pushrods made. (heard this
|      from a guy at Crane so "grain of salt"
|      (You would have to shave a real lot off your head for this to happen
|      probably some off your block too.

It is also normal to run shortened tubular pushrods if you mill the head or
block by  much. Otherwise your rocker geometry is poor even if you don't get
to the end of your ajustment. They aren't all that expensive.

|      Other solutions...
|      I ended up shaving my head a little $20. When I found that I also had
|      to have my cylinders bored 030 over I got new pistons that were pretty
|      much flat instead of dished like my old ones. Total compression went
|      from ~ 8:1 ton 8.75:1 . Don't forget to get the head magna-fluxed to
|      test for cracks before you waist any money.

The easy approach to finding out how much to mill is to cc the head and get
out your calculator. Don't forget to take into account the deck height of the
piston and thickness of the head gasket.

/Dick