Re: HOT SPIT !

To: Christopher Ball <triumph@io.org>
Subject: Re: HOT SPIT !
From: James Penry <penry@infi.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 1994 13:06:48 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 2 Aug 1994, Christopher Ball wrote:

> Well Buck,
>

> You have certainly coverd the bases on this one. The only two things I
> can suggest are:
>
> 1. (Less likely) The viscous coupling on the fan is a piece of rubbish.
> Go for a Kenlowe electric unit and avoid the drag on the engine.

I think this one is a slight contributor.  When I find the real culpret
though, I might just do that replacement of the fan.

> 2. OIL OIL OIL : is the screen on the oil pump blocked? As a result are
> the oil passages restricted too?  (Do you suffer the heartbreak of ...)
> Sorry. The spit is very prone to heating up the oil and thus the whole
> affair. An oil coller is a must for seriuos drving on the 1500.

I have really been concerned about this posability.  I have heard many
people talk about oil coolers for the spit.  As an owner of a presently
working spit, can you tell me something?  When removing the oil filler
cap, how much oil is being pumped to the rocker through the tiny hole you
can see?  Mine has very little.....  I bet I could remove the valve cover
and run the engine without loosing much oil at all.  How normal is that?
I have recently changed the oil, and the dipstick shows no traces of
sludge.  It looks very clean.  I also removed the pan, and cleaned it
out.  I was in poor position to really see the screen, but from what I
could see, it was fairly clean.  A little sludge in the bottom of the pan
though.  Thick gunky stuff!!!

> However, obviuosly the car should run at midpoint on the gauge without
> one. My guess is oil.

I'll try to flush the oil.  I just put new in, but I guess it wont be
that expensive to waste a few quarts of oil to be sure.

> 3? Well, you never mention the airpump or the pollution control system.
> This being bunged can also put a load on the engine and heat it up.

There is really nothing to mention here, because there is nothing to
mention.  All that stuff was removed by a previous owner.  It has
headers, and some chrome exhaust end piece.  Almost a straight shot out.
Is that a contributor to my problem???

> -----------
> Chris Ball
> triumph@io.org
> 75 Spit
> 59 TR3A
> ----------------------
>
> Oh, and what about unrelated stuff. I had a riend bring an over heating
> 3A to me once and after looking over the engine I went for a SLOW test
> drive. His brakes were ceased ???

The car coasts well, but there may be some unrelated stuff to cause
overheating.  I'll think on it some more.  However, it overheats at idle too.

Thanks, and keep those suggestions comming.
                                                   Buck Penry
                                                  Virginia Beach, VA
Buck Penry      | I don't think I'm always right....I know I am! (I think)
penry@infi.net  | A man without a computer is like a fish without a bicycle