re Crazy/Jag XJ12 question

To: "Kevin Meek" <kevnmeek@netcom.com>
Subject: re Crazy/Jag XJ12 question
From: "Dave Lapham" <Dave_Lapham@oakqm3.sps.mot.com>
Date: 2 Aug 1994 09:53:47 U
   re  Crazy/Jag XJ12 question

  Kevin writes:
--------
Naturally, the next day I see an ad for a fuel injected 1976 Jag
XJ12L which "needed some work" for $950.  Completely ignoring all
the wise advice about spending a little more money and getting a
car where someone else has already done all the work, I bought it.

I drove it home, but it was clear before I bought it that it was
gonna need some engine work.  At the least, it would probably need
head gaskets replaced and probably some valve work (car has 160K).

--------

Free Advice Follows, and it's worth at least half that much ...

Step One:  Find out how difficult or how expensive it is to have
the valves adjusted on an XJ12.  Think about what else is needed.

Step Two:  Check out the Chevy V8 conversion kits (John's Cars in
Dallas is reputed to have a pretty good kit).

As a benefit, with the Chevy conversion, you get rid of the Borg-
Warner transmission and can put in a Chevy unit.  I'd do it.

Just my opinion.

Dave L.