Re: Should a TR6 accelerate smoothly in 4th at 1750 RPM?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Should a TR6 accelerate smoothly in 4th at 1750 RPM?
From: Joe Flake <flake@d311510.atl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 94 15:03:46 EDT
Ken wrote..

> Should a TR6 accellerate smoothly in 4th gear from about 1750 RPM?

Well, gee, maybe.  But it sure shouldn't have to!  Carefully
orchestrated movements of left foot pedal and right hand (ok, left
hand if you're in a *real* lbc) will do away with 4th_gear/1750_rpm
acceleration problems.  :-)

> However, the TR6 I drove tonight would sputter when pushed
> hard in 4th at about 1750 RPM (I forget how fast that is - ~35?).  The
> car would still accellerate some (although greatly reduced), until
> RPMs got to about 2250 or so, at which point everything would be fine.

You're right, 1750 is about 35 mph.  I'd expect smooth acceleration
from that speed, but certainly sluggish!  I'd expect better results
if the throttle were rolled in smoothly than if simply floored.  If
timing or mixture were wrong, this would be a great time for pinging.
I'd only have minor concern if all the stumbling were gone by 2200 rpm.
Who knows, perhaps someone replaced the camshaft with a "3/4 race"
cam which needs a few rpms to smooth out!

Joe
flake@d311510.atl.hp.com