Re: Recovery from an emotional decision

To: "Bob " Mr Optimistic " Deasy" <deasy@sequent.com>
Subject: Re: Recovery from an emotional decision
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 1994 08:10:27 -0400
Bob Deasy writes:

> I fell under the spell....

> Shortly after bringing her home I began to rebuild her.  Brakes,
> suspension, tires and windshield before I discovered the "truth..."

> Why am I sending this to the list ?  I sense that it might be better for me
> to either choose from one of the options below:

>       A: Find a good body and do a mechanicals transplant
>       B: Cut my losses and sell this to find a better car
>       C: Go ahead and get the work done

Choices:

A:  If the mechanicals in the car are sound, it would be a good plan
to find a car with a good body, with dire need for mechanicals.
Unfortunately, such cars are quite difficult to find.  It does happen,
though, usually when somebody has done a frame-up restoration (or, on
an MGBGT, a unibody-up restoration... :-)), saved the mechanicals for
last, and ran out of time or money.  Alternatively, I've seen a case
where a complete restoration was undertaken, and the engine was poorly
rebuilt, leading to a dead engine, and a discouraged owner.

B:  I would probably tend towards this.  But, if you can at least hold
onto your current one until you find the replacement, you may be able
to swap some of your new components over to the replacement, if the
replacement is needing in those areas.

C:  This option will never pay back your expenses.  However, if this
will give you a car you will enjoy, it may be worth it to you.  (This
would be undertaken as a labour of love, not because you ever plan to
get your money back...)

In summary, I would probably prefer choice A, but, given the
likelihood of finding a good MGBGT body with dead mechanicals, I think
B would be your best bet...

--ken

Kenneth B. Streeter        | ARPA: streeter@sanders.com
Lockheed Sanders           | UUCP: ...!uunet!sanders.com!streeter
PTP2-A001                  |
65 River Road              | Voice: (603) 885-9604
Hudson, NH 03051           | Fax:   (603) 885-0631