Re: Her price is far above rubies

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Her price is far above rubies
From: pwv@tc.fluke.com (Pat Vilbrandt)
Date: Fri, 20 May 94 16:04:21 PDT
Rob Reilly <reilly@admail.fnal.gov> writes about SOs and hobbies:

>  I figure the best way to keep [spouses] from nagging us about our hobby is
> to get them a hobby of their own. I got her a Pfaff sewing machine to replace
> her old Kick-Start Kenmore, and now she's making vests and quilts like crazy.
> Best of all she doesn't care how long I stay out in the garage if she's
> working on a quilt, as long as I don't ignore the kids of course.

Aaaacccckkk!  You've just described my wife & I!  (Laurie was complaining so
much about the Kenmore that I took her out and "made" her trade it in on a
$1500 Pfaff!)  The interesting thing is I've noticed the same relationship
with other SOL families I've had the good fortune to meet:  Lawrence & Anne
Buja, Scott & Kim Fisher.  (Watch out Scott - I think Kim is just working up
to the Pfaff!  ;^)

Then Chris Ball <triumph@io.org> adds:

> Today, having put out my order for the Moto Lita steering wheel I'm going
> to replace the sewing machine that is driving Darlene mad in HER hobby.

(That's P-F-A-F-F, with 3 F's Chris!  ;^)

I think the underlying theme here is that creative people who enjoy working
with their minds & hands attract and are attracted to other people with the
same qualities.  And the secret to maintaining these relationships is to
ensure that each person is able to enjoy their own accomplishments, both as
an individual and together.

>  Treat them like they're more important to you than your car is. It doesn't
> take that much effort.
>
> "Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the
> gates."     Proverbs 31:31

Indeed.

Cheers, and my best to those important people in your lives that help make
your interests more enjoyable.

   Pat Vilbrandt      Fluke Corporation      Everett, Washington USA
   pwv@tc.fluke.COM or: { uunet, uw-beaver, sun, microsoft }!fluke!pwv