...and the winner is:

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: ...and the winner is:
From: Berry Kercheval <kerch@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Fri, 6 May 1994 21:02:30 PDT
May I have the envelope please?  The winner is:
        Nick Van Matre!
He suggested that it might be that the METAL fuel line from the tank area to
the front of the car might be clogged.

Tonight I undid the connection to the fuel filter and just a little bit of gas
seeped out the end.  I ran a stiff wire up the tube as far as I could get it
to go, and then took the tyre pump I keep for my kids bicycles and pressed it
to the end.  Making a seal with my fingers I stroked the handle.  After
rearranging the pump tube, gas tube and my fingers several times I achieved a
tolerably good seal and stroked the pump as hard as I could.  After several
strokes I could hear bubbles in the fuel tank.

A couple more strokes and I took the pump down and turned to the bench to set
it down.  As I turned back, I heard the sound of fluid running and falling on
the garage floor!  Say HALLELUJAH brothers and sisters!  I was dumping fuel at
a prodigous rate onto my nice clean garage floor and I was HAPPY!  I quickly
stuck the filter back into the end of the tube and fastened everything up nice.

I started the engine and drove around the block: once, twice -- that's more
then Scott got to ride with me -- three, four.  I went away from my
neighborhood, around a bigger block.  No stumbles!  YAY!

Well, THAT problem is solved.  She still backfires a bit when idling and I
suddenly open the throttle: I think the oil in the carbs is too thick.  The
exhaust rattles on the body and there's a mysterious squeak somewhere, but she
runs!

Thanks to all the Scions who offered help and encouragement; and especially to
Nick: I owe you a pint or three of you like: Necastle brown, Sierra Nevada,
Red Hook ESB, Castrol LMA, you name it...

As my wife said, quoting Scott Fisher; "There goes a happy man."...
yeah.  Now I have two running cars and I don't have to change the clutch on my
wife's Jetta in the rain tomorrow. :-)

--
Berry Kercheval :: kerch@parc.xerox.com