Preventing rust in MIG welds

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Preventing rust in MIG welds
From: "Paul Tonizzo, Finance& Ops. IM&T, DTN 631-7107" <tonizzo@trooa.enet.dec.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 94 08:33:48 EDT
Lin writes:

>>Are there any special problems to be aware of when patching the A frame
>>on the passenger side foot well frame member?

Not as far as I know.  This seems to be a faily common area for rusting.  As
long as the frame hasn't sagged, (given the position I doubt it) you don't
have to worry about anything.  You can always check the frame measurements
against whats in the shop manual to be sure.

>>What's your fav. material for floor boards .. I know wood . but which kind?

Use only marine grade plywood.  Marine plywood is very expensive but is far
superior than any plain old exterior grade plywood.  I bought the latter and
then the marine stuff.  The marine plywood is much stronger and has a smooth
finish - don't waste your time like I did.

>>Where are the holes for the windshield wiper fluid nozzles located?

I don't know the ewxact measurements off hand but the holes are between the
hood and windsheild.  If you need exact measurements, I could get them.

>>How were the A bodies painted? I can't seem to get in all the spots in
>>the trunk.. It's like the parts were painted first then assembled but I
>>couldn't imagine them going to all that trouble.

Todd Clarke recommennds painting anything you can unbolt separately.  This
means the trunk hinges and latching mechanism should be done separately.

>>Are there people near KY that repair the old tube radios? I've got one
>>that it looks like the spiders decided to setup camp inside..

Have you tried to clean it up and use it yourself?  These old radios are
remarkably long lived.  I got an Radiomobile tube radio with my MGA.  It
was pretty dirty inside also but some thorough disassembly and cleaning
has it working great.  If it still doesn't work,  you shouldn't have a problem
finding someone to repair it.

>>My rockers are shot.. i.e. after they were dipped, they were gone.  I
>>need to know if I should go ahead and buy the pillar-rocker set from moss
>>($$$) or get someone to build me that inner rocker box.

If your pillars are OK, you can purchase the inner sill assembly separately.
I believe Victoria British sells these and I know Todd Clark Spares does.

>>have a nice day (or is it night over there?)
>>Lin Sharpe
>>sharpe@igloo.com

Paul