Re: drain holes, etc.

To: Keith Mott <keith@anolis.bnr.usu.edu>
Subject: Re: drain holes, etc.
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 1994 17:58:56 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 26 Apr 1994, Keith Mott wrote:

> drain.  Should I drill holes along the bottoms of the sills?  I don't
> know if there were holes originally, but my replacement sills definately

I believe there originally was one about 4 inches back from the front, and
another about 2 inches forward of the back of the sill.  If not, I'd sure
put holes there.  I put approx 1/2 inch holes, used them to inject waxoyl,
and left them open.

> do not have drain holes.  Also, what about the hinge pillars?  They

I think the problem is less water than the dirt and debris these collect.
I drilled a couple of 3/4 inch holes inside (later covered by the inside
panel) and waxoyled the heck out of these box sections.  I plan to pull
the inside trim panels off, and using a bent 1/2 inch copper water pipe
sleeved into a vacuum cleaner, either suck or blow the debris out every
couple of years.  I did not think of cutting a hole through into the
rocker, but I suspect that would just let debris into the rocker, which is
harder to replace than the A posts.  Anyway, we are probably taking a lot
better care of these cars than they originally got.  I don't figure mine
will rust out in my life time if I continue to care for it as I do now.

> Another problem is that I paint the insides of these double panels
> before I weld them up, but obviously I can't paint the area to be welded,
> and invariably some of the paint adjacent to the weld burns off, as well.
> Is there a commonly-used method for painting or coating the insides of these
> welds?  On places like the sills and hinge pillars there's really no access,
> after assembly.

I doubt if painting helps much, but it doesn't hurt so I do it.  I have
tried weld-through paints, but they are not weld through in my hands.  My
answer was to pick places for 1/2 inch access holes while everything was
apart, and to waxoyl the cavities with a high pressure undercoating gun.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910