MGB Roadster vs GT rear springs

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB Roadster vs GT rear springs
From: garyb@iotek.ns.ca (Gary Burrell)
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 1994 12:44:59 -0400
> Scott Fisher writes:
>- -- Jim Fink writes:
>- -- >How different are the GT springs on a B, anything significant...?
>- --
>- -- I know that in 1968, the GT rear springs had one extra leaf when
>- -- compared to those of the Roadster. .......

>The GT's springs are about 23%-25% stiffer than a roadster's springs,
>front and rear.  ......

>This of course means that GT springs are a quick high-performance
>replacement for roadster springs, and a path I'm considering taking
>with my next stage of MGB suspension development.  I like the B's
>balance with stock springs and a stiffer front anti-roll bar; it
>just rolls too much in the corners.

Since the GT's springs are stiffer than roadsters you will get a raised rear,
vrs the normal springs (unless you get the springs re-arched at a local spring
shop) due to the reduced weight of the roadster.  IMHO I don't believe this
is good for handling, (others may disagree).  It will roll more in the corners
not less, do to the higher rear end. For better handling you want the
car lower to the ground not higher (hence the problem with rubber bumper MGB's)

You can get from most suppliers lowered springs, which lower the ride height,
or you can get the rear springs rearched (stiffer or normal your choice).  Note
that if you do lower the ride height the front MUST BE DONE FIRST otherwise
the handling of the car will be upset.  Also note that lowered springs and
weak springs that have lowered themselves have vastly different effects.

As will all things there are limits, as lowering you car will mean that it is
closer to the pavemnet for things like speed bumps etc.  Also care must be
taken not to foul the tires.  I believe you can lower chrome bumper models
about 1", (most with old springs are already this low but don't have the
spring action).  I've heard you can lower rubber bumper models 2-3" but as
I don't have one I don't know for sure.  (I think I heard that there is a
couple of other things you have to do first)

Also I have heard that nylatron (SP) or urethane (are these the same) shackle
bushes, hold the rear springs from side ways movement better than rubber, and
give better handling.  Any comments, or users ?

Just my 2 cents worth.

                        Gary Burrell