Re: Range Rover oil leaks

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Range Rover oil leaks
From: gavin@csis.dit.csiro.au (Gavin Walker)
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 1994 16:27:26 +1000 (EST)
>   1987 Range Rover oil leak ("Paul C. Zurkowski" )
>   Re: 1987 Range Rover oil leak (David Huddleson)

> Vehicle: 1987 Range Rover,  107,000 miles
> Problem: Oil is leaking in the area of the intake manifold gasket,
>        and pooling on the pan section of the gasket between the
>        heads.  The oil then runs off the back of the block.

The source of your problem is the engine flame trap.  That black
cylindrical think screwed into your right hand rocker cover.  These
are supposed to be cleaned every year but people don't.  The effect is
that all the blowby tries to go out by the little filter on the other
rocker cover which also clogs.  The gases will not be contained.  They
usually escape by blowing out the intake manifold gasket end seals
(the black strips on the ends of the metal pan) and possible other
seals (like rocker covers).  Cleaning or replacing your flame trap and
possible you filter will slow or stop the leak.
  To stop the leak entirely you'll have to pull the manifold and
replace the end seals and probably the pan too.  Last year I neglected
my flame trap and now I have oil leaking out of the pan seals and the
rocker covers (right onto the exhaust manifolds).  Finally I should
have all the appropriate seals replaced this weekend.

--
  _--_|\             -|-    Gavin Walker