electrics cont.

To: SOL LIST <BRITISH-CARS@autox.team.net>
Subject: electrics cont.
From: Eubank Lynn Alan <eubank@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 1994 23:19:04 -0500 (CDT)
Hi, ya'll
Again, thank you all for the messages of support and of damned good
advice! In the end, I went ahead and excluded the whole WLG circuit
(but left it intact just in case it could come in handy later). Now
there's a white wire leading directly from the fusebox to the
Bosch blue. In addition, given that the ignition is now a real
12V one, I figured that the WLG wire that leads from the soleniod
to +coil could also be excluded. Oh, and all of this is now carefully
written up in both of my manuals - just in case someday I become
a PO, then the next onwer might not call me a 'dreaded PO'!

But on with the story. My wife was to take me to the back doctor,
but couldn't make it. Thank heavens I'd crawled to the garage to
add the white wire (while my wife wasn't looking). Soooo, I oozed
myself into the car, turned the key, and it fired immediately.
Drove like a jewel, too - until about 10 blocks down the road it
suddenly lost all power for about 5 seconds. Damn! It was transient,
but I stopped anyway and, not having the foresight of putting
any tools or testers into the car before leaving, tested wires
the manual way: If a wire's grounded and about to melt, you'll
feel it. I felt every single wire that I'd fiddled with over the
weekend. All cool.

I don't know what the story is now, but, given that it's clearly
transient, I've put VOM and little light tester (and other tools)
into the glove box and will drive the sucker until I can catch
the problem with its pants down, so to speak.

Ok, doctor says not to remain in a sitting position too long -
that's why he made me wait for over an hour in the waiting room, right?
Maybe he used the same strategy on my back that I'm using on the transient
short?

thanks again to all!
Lynnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn