First autocross of the season, and my shame.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: First autocross of the season, and my shame.
From: mchaffee@sumter.cso.uiuc.edu
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 94 22:38:39 -0500
Well, the Champaign County Sports Car club just held its first two autocrosses
of the season this past Sat. and Sun.  And I was deeply thrilled (DEEPLY
thrilled) to finally have a car to autox, a marvel of German engineering, one
BMW 2002tii.  Much to my chagrin, I discovered that the dreaded PO had
installed rear shocks which left the rear end too tall and too stiff, the end
result being that the car lifted the inside rear wheel off the ground as I
exited each corner.  Grrr.

So at the end of the day today, a gentleman in the club let me take his '58
MGA (big front swaybar, big tires, otherwise stock) on a timed fun lap.  The
result?  My time, having never ever driven this or any other MGA or B before
in my life, was four seconds better than my best-of-five in the BMW.  There's
a lesson in this somewhere, and I think it has something to do with taking
Harvey the Mighty Midget out of storage and putting it to good use......

Wishing I had time to go get Harvey, missing Spring entirely,

Michael T. Chaffee
mchaffee@sumter.cso.uiuc.edu