next idea on smoked wiring

To: SOL LIST <BRITISH-CARS@autox.team.net>
Subject: next idea on smoked wiring
From: Eubank Lynn Alan <eubank@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 1994 10:15:20 -0500 (CDT)
Hi,
First I want to thank those who responded to my plea for help,
especially Randy, who gave me some good leads (no pun intended)!
Alas, my crummy back just couldn't withstand all the effort
I put into the B last Friday (before the post), and so when
I woke up Sat morning, I had a true no-go. My doctor's gonna
have a FIT again when I see him tomorrow. All in all, though,
it probably wasn't too bad to spend the whole day prone - I
got my wife to put all of my lbc books beside the bed, and
I STUDIED.
So, again, not having run any further tests since Friday, there's
still more to check. However, my studies have revealed some
possible answers to older mysteries. First and foremost, the 78
B USED to have electronic ignition - the PO reported that it
had been stolen, so he had a distributor from a much earlier B
on the car, and it was badly worn. I replaced it with a Mallory,
and replaced the old coil with a Bosch blue. And didn't think
any further about wiring. That was, oh, 7-8 years ago, I'd
guess. Damned thing never did develop much of a hefty spark,
though. Now I think I know why. All of the resistive system
was still in place, ready to run the EI system. Now that the
resistive system has apparently pooped (still to be determined,
I guess), a thought comes to mind. Why not bypass the whole
poop? The wiring diagrams for older, points-only systems
indicate no resistive system, and heaven knows the Bosch
blue doesn't need it.
I'm gonna try it - unless somebody writes to say that I
shouldn't. No GIANT rush at this point. Yesterday I was prone.
Today I can manage a few steps here and there, but NO LBC
work. I don't expect to be able to touch the car until
mid-week, if that.
Again, thanks to all for the advice!
later, alligators
Lynnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn