More TR6 Stuff

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: More TR6 Stuff
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: 16 Apr 1994 09:38:21 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

Well, I attacked my TR6 with spanners last night to remedy my owner
induced suspension problems. I think I was actually succesful. To
review, my new rear springs were too tall, and the car was sitting
more or less in a hot-rod stance. Also, there was a visually detectable
toe in on one of the rear wheels.

So, I pulled the "new" spring and put in the "old" ones. The total
job took less than one hour, hey, I'm getting good at this! Maybe if
I had an air tool set... At any rate, the car sits "correctly" now,
albeit a little soft in the spring department IMHO. So that's cool.

As for my gear-noise rear suspension problem, it has gone away. No
doubt this problem will rear it ugly head at an inopportune time,
but for now, all is smooth back there. While I had it apart, I took
a few minutes to check the u-joints for tightness etc, and they all
seem fine. There's lube in the differential... I guess I have to
hope all is really well back there.

I then analyzed the toe-in problem...it turns out that I had installed
the shims incorrectly after replacing the swing-arm bushings. The
evidence was a pile of unused shims on the garaage floor that would have
come from the side in question. Ahah!, I thought. I gotta tell you, on the
TR6, two or three shims makes a BIG difference in the angle of the
triling arms!

Now, I have a question to netland. Can any other TR6 owners relay
information regarding rear suspension alignment on thier TR6's? I
need to figure out if the "normal" shops can give me a four-wheel
alignment that is "correct" and not screw anything up. I'm getting
a tad fussy about other people working on my car lately, and I want
to make sure that I don't get violent towards inept auto repair
technicians -AFTER- they screw up my car! At any rate, opinions
are solicited.

Well, off to the garage!
rml

Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |