TR6 choke cable / clutch / mobile again / thesaurus-happy

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 choke cable / clutch / mobile again / thesaurus-happy
From: Ian Macky <imacky@us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 94 18:07:47 PDT
Hi again.

A number of people responded and said that twisting the knob keeps the
choke cable out, but I sure couldn't get any such action from mine.

    Is this supposed to work for any amount of choke, or does it
    just lock it full open?

I'm leery about this.  It doesn't feel right at all, feels like grabbing
any random knob-on-a-wire and twisting.  Nothing special....

Noone said if there was a difference between the behaviors of stranded
and solid wire cables.  I was hoping a solid-wire cable could handle
push-pull and I might just do away with the return springs...

In other news:

Drivers side floor mat was covered in clutch fluid today.  (Thank god for
those Amco rubber mats)  *sigh*  Why why why O why do these damn clutch
masters last so short a time?  I guess I'll rebuild it AGAIN...   perhaps
I did something wrong last time.

Also: I guess I forgot to mention: I'm mobile again!  It's all back
together.  Yeaaaa!!!!  New rear suspension (new stock springs, Armstrongs,
hard-rubber bushes, nylon shock-link bushes; welded up 1" crack in LH
semi-trailing arm); rebuilt drivetrain from the axle back (rebuilt diff
and all new U-joints).  All that's missing is the rear hubs which still
suck.

    No more clunk, bounce, rattle, judder, shimmy, shake, jar, agitate,
    (...froth, irritate, infuriate...)

It's now the best handling and most composed TR6 I've ever driven**.  My
rear anti-sway bar is still on order from JCW.  Once I bolt it up and
flatten out the tail some more and fine-tune over/understeer I will truly
Be There...

It's pretty neutral right now; we'll see what the extra bar does to it;
hopefully I should still be able to make the necessary small changes with
just tire pressure adjustments...

--ian

PS  Now it's time for a road trip.  Hmmm....    I need some cool rock
    formation nonsense not too far from the SF Bay area, something
    suitable for a weekend jaunt.  Aside from Pinnacles.   Also, anyone
    going to the Rod Run up in Washington in September?  I may visit my
    Mum up there and participate while I'm local.  It would be cool to
    caravan part of the way....

PPS annoy, exasperate, nettle, provoke, roil, rile, enrage;  shiver,
    quiver, tremble, convulse, shake, rock & roll!!!

**  Ahem, I've only driven 3 of them, I think.  I'd like to try others!
    I want a Drivers Comparison Day some Sunday........  bring similar
    cars and swap drivers, see how different specimens behave.