oh woe is me ... PO's last revenge

To: SOL LIST <BRITISH-CARS@autox.team.net>
Subject: oh woe is me ... PO's last revenge
From: Eubank Lynn Alan <eubank@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 1994 08:23:41 -0500 (CDT)
Would anybody like to come down here and sort thru some fried wiring?
Please?

The story begins like that of nearly every one of us: The PO mucked about,
thereby causing the later owner untold hours of mystery. In my case, the
mysteries began to appear less often - it was those fist couple of years
that were miserable, or so I thought. One little mystery didni't make
itself apparent until now. The PO had mucked with the wiring and had,
among other things, replaced the plastic-covered clips on the wires that
lead into one of the solinoids. The replacement clip wasn't insulated.
And, of course, the damend clip was a lousy one - it simply fell off a
couple of nights ago ... and nicely grounded itself against metal. Engine
dies. Bonnet opened. Burned-electric smell. Dread.

The burned wire is, on the MGB, the white-with-green (blue? can't
remember) that leads from the one side of the coil, into the loom, and out
to connect to the starter solinoid down below. I knew the news wasn't good
when I saw that the blue plastic wrapping on the loom had split wide open
- turns out to be exactly where the fateful wire is close to surface. And
so now, I'm doing what I PROMISED MYSELF NEVER TO DO: Unwrap that part of
the loom that contains the wire, inspect for lateral damage (melt-down),
replace the wire, do something about rewrapping. And, in the meantime,
rely on the goodwill of my wife and her Mazda to get to and from work.

Back to the grind ...
Lynnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnindenton