MGB WHEEL BEARINGS

To: todd@mudbug.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Subject: MGB WHEEL BEARINGS
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 1994 11:53:22 -0500 (CDT)
Todd Mullins writes >

> Now, then.  I am in need of a bearing spacer for a front swivel axle on my
> MGB.  At least I _think_ I need it.  The old one got torn up in a bizarre
> wheel-bearing failure last July, involving miles and miles of desert highway
> and a tow dolly.  The bearings were replaced, but the spacer is unavailable.
> During reassembly, I decided that the damned thing doesn't do anything anyway,

NOT TRUE!

> so I didn't worry about it.  However, since it came from the factory with the
> spacer, I'm looking around for one.

If you put original-spec BALL bearings in the car without a spacer and
torqued the nut to spec, you have a huge preload on the bearings and they
will likely fail soon.

If you cannot find the spacer, try to get tapered roller bearings to fit and
tighten up the nut like on a regular car that came equipped with tapered
roller bearings.  Worked fine on my Midget, and was even cheaper than the
ball bearings.  The tapered roller bearings are installed without the spacer.

DON'T DRIVE IT LIKE IT IS!