new occurence in misfiring...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: new occurence in misfiring...
From: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil (Marcus Tooze)
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 94 07:33:38 CDT
Scene: drive to work this morning...

Car misfiring every few hundred yards as usual, me pulling on the choke to
get her to run smooth. Get about 2 miles from home *phut phut phut* stamp on the
gas....no power at all. Gradually roll to a halt and the engine quietly dies.
*sigh* it's the first time that it's been so bad that the engine doesn't
run. I try the key almost as soon as we've stopped....VROOM!!!...like
it's never damn well misfired! I pull away and for the next mile it's smooth
and when I stop at stop signs...it's idling at around 1500rpm (??!!).
Then for the last few miles to wrk it's back to the normal misfiring routine
but now idling at 1500rpm.

Also last night I was checking the wiring to my tach. Haynes suggests there
should be a green wire *check*, red/white wire *check* and two white wires
*uh oh*. I have one white and black wire? Could somebody else with a 74
Midget take a look under there dash to check this out for me? Yes, I know
the tach is connected to the coil and this may be an indication od electrical
trouble in the ignition...but it seems my tach isn't part of the ignition
loop like in the wiring diagram because I can unplug all the wires out of the
back of it and still start and run the car. The tach works occasionally
suggesting a bad ground, but I'll be ******* if I can find it.

Marcus