XJ-6 Trans

To: "'SMTP:british-cars@autox.team.net'" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: XJ-6 Trans
From: mike_israel@merck.com (Mike Israel)
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 94 14:43:00 EDT
Greetings,

The latest malady to afflict my 86 XJ-6 is a leaking trans which leaves
lovely
red puddles wherever I park.  The trans itself still performs well but is
pushing
90,000 miles.

My thinking is that if I am going to drop the trans I should replace/rebuild

not only the seals  also the bands, valve body, and whatever
else you goes into a trans during rebuild.  Does this seem logical?

I tried calling one major trans remanufacturer but they do not deal in
anything Jaguar related.   (I would think a Borg-Warner  T-61 could be found
in more conventional vehicles).

Does anyone know of a source for remanufactured B-W transmissions?
What should I expect to pay for such a unit?   Likewise, what should I
expect to
pay if I go to a local transmission shop for a rebuild?  Is there any way I
will be
able to tell if they actually rebuilt the unit?

BTW, the gasoline smell I reported some months ago is fixed.  Turns out that
the
Jag restoration shop which installed the new tank forgot to insert the
gasket
near the fuel filler cap.  The Jag dealer found and repaired the problem
quite
quickly to the tune of $200.00.  Fortunately, the first shop actually stood
behind its
work and reimbursed me the $200.00.

Regards,

           Mike Israel

mike_israel@merck.com

86 XJ6   (If a Chevy gave me this much aggravation it would be in the
scrap-yard)
77 Spitfire