Midget just decided not to start

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Midget just decided not to start
From: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil (Marcus Tooze)
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 94 13:52:35 CST
----- Begin Included Message -----

>From MAILER-DAEMON@max.cecer.army.mil Fri Apr  1 13:39:38 1994
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 1994 13:39:34 -0600
From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON@max.cecer.army.mil>
To: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil
Subject: Returned mail: User unknown

While talking to triumph.cs.utah.edu:
>>> RCPT To:<brirish-cars@autox.team.net>
<<< 550 <brirish-cars@autox.team.net>... User unknown
550 <brirish-cars@autox.team.net>... User unknown

   ----- Recipients of this delivery -----
Bounced, cannot deliver:
   <brirish-cars@autox.team.net>

   ----- Unsent message follows -----
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 94 13:39:30 CST
From: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil (Marcus Tooze)
To: brirish-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Midget won't start...it's in the lot right now!!

Well, it's lunchtime and I just decided to go for a spin...jump in the car,
start her up...after five seconds she dies.

Try to start her...turn over just fine...but sounds like theres no spark...
yoiu know, like when you leave the cap off or something stupid!

Open her up and fiddle with the coil lead...seeing as its the coil
supposedly which has been troubling me...I only recieved my new coil
last night so I haven't had chance to replace it. Anyway, I try her
again...same thing. I took the cap off and looked at the points...it looked
like the lobes weren't even moving the point breaker...so I took
of the dizzy and checked...they were moving but I had no gap tool to
check the gap. I reinstalled the dizzy (the correct way round!) and
tried again....no dice.

Has the coil finally died? She was running fine this morning. After this
discussion of centrifugal advance and so on I wondering whether sticking
weights was the cause of the misfire....

Anyway...a friend is on there way to pick me up to go and
get my new coil/cap/rotor and more tools. Hopefully the replacement
coil will work. I was wondering....what if it was a break in the
wires BEFORE the coil....i.e. how may I test if juice is reching the coil?
Do I just stick a voltmeter across the terminals while I cranck her up?

All answers gratefully recieved to save the cost of a tow truck home!

Marcus

----- End Included Message -----