starting fluid warning

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: starting fluid warning
From: gcsmith@sabux.larc.nasa.gov (clark smith)
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 94 11:24:42 -0500
In British Car Digest 1151, it is written...

>Your rough idle problem could be caused by loosely fitting throttle shafts.
>Also, check for intake manifold gasket leaks by spraying quick-start fluid
>while the car is idling.  BEST to do it when the exhaust manifold is cold

Please, do NOT use starting fluid to check your intake manifold gasket on a
running engine!  A member of my family had an accident using starting fluid
and now has severe burns over 80 percent of his body.

Instead of using starting fluid and looking for an idle increase, use carb.
cleaner and look for an idle decrease.

Clark  'No job to is so important that it cannot be done safely'  Smith
gcsmith@sabux.larc.nasa.gov