Trunnions and Electrons

To: <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Trunnions and Electrons
From: <amace%sedofis@VM1.NYSED.GOV>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 94 10:44:23 EST
 Simon:
 Trunnions are a relatively simple thing to change on a Spitfire. Question,
 though: is it the whole trunnion that needs replacing or is it just the
 bushings? The latter is even easier. Some other points to consider. If
 you need to replace the trunnions due to lack of oiling, resulting in
 pronounced binding in the trunnion, chances are you are looking at replacing
 the
 uprights as well. Also, I can't find the actual reference, but the
 TSSC advises strongly that you follow manufacturer's recommendation to use 90
 weight oil to lubricate, NOT chassis grease. (I suspect because the
 grease can dry out, etc...).

 Phil (I think, I didn't save the posting):

 You're right. Among many other models of Fairthorpe was the Electron Minor, a
 very lightweight fiberglass roadster using first the Standard-Triumph 10
 engine
 (948cc) and later Herald and Spitfire versions of the 1147cc. There was also
 the
 Rockette, which used the Vitesse 1600cc six-cylinder engine. If memory
 serves,
 this particular car featured a third, center- and
 Bugeye-style-mounted headlight -- sort of like *if Preston Tucker and Donald
 Healey had collaborated on a sports car* ;-).
 There had been earlier Fairthorpes as well, but, since I'm at work, details
 do
 not fall readily to hand.
 --Andy *almost had a Fairthorpe once, but the PO's barn burned down before I
 could buy the car -- TRUE STORY (sigh!)* Mace