Disappearing Fluids

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Disappearing Fluids
From: Christopher Ball <triumph@io.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 1994 10:54:49 -0500 (EST)
Thanks for all of you - John Lye in particular - who answered my question
about sudden fluid loss over the winter. It would seem that this is quite
common in the colder climates. (below minus 20C)

It would also seem  that many SOLS have simply topped everything back up
and driven on with no further problems. (with a bleeding if it was a
total loss of fluid needless to say !)

Anyway, having just purchased a reseal kit for the slave on the Healey I
did a little test. Measuring the old and new seal with a micrometer I
found no difference what so ever. The tapers were the same and the
stiffness and rebound of the rubber felt the same.

I then placed the new seal in the freezer with a thermoter and waited.
When I hit mius 10C I checked. No change. At minus 40c I checked again. I
small change! After three hours the seal was three thou smaller!! THis
would be enough under pressure to loss the lot I think.

Taking the seal out and leaving it to thaw it returned to its normal
shape and size quite happily.

Theseseals are made in Australia so perhaps they just can't comprehend
the cold, but they say that the N. AMERICAN are all exceeded. (?)

Anyway, I thought this may interst the group.