Re: British Cars Digest #1143 Thu Mar 24 01:15:00 MST 1994

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #1143 Thu Mar 24 01:15:00 MST 1994
From: wbrown@csg.lbl.gov (Bill Brown)
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 94 07:35:25 PST
I think that if I were you (which I don't think I am) at this point
I would replace the following if you haven't already done so
        1) the coil,
        2) the distributor cap,
        3) the rotor cap, and
        4) _all_ of the high-voltage wiring.

I seem to recall that you've already replaced the points and condensor.  If
not, replace them also.

While it's nice to be able to say "I had this problem, and I was able to
trace it down to this $.02 part!", sometimes it just isn't worth the trouble
(IMHO).

Electrictiy is sneaky stuff.  I ought to know - I've made my living by
trying to keep it where it belongs.  And sometimes you just gotta Easter-egg
it.

There was this time that 7T6 MGB died in traffic - and it was _dead_.  Had to
get AAA to tow it home for me.  Don't ask how long it took me to discover
that the rotor-cap had developed a "leak" from the tip to the rotor shaft....

And that was the _only_ ignition HV part I didn't replace when I got the car.
The parts house didn't have one in stock....

Disclaimer:  These opinions are my own and have     |
    nothing to do with the official policy or the   |  -bill
    management of L.B.L, who probably couldn't      |   wlbrown@lbl.gov
    care less about employees who play with trains. |