Superchargers from dealers

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Superchargers from dealers
From: jesup@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com (Randell Jesup)
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 94 14:53:11 -0500
>> Does anyone know if any MGBGTs(racing or stock) ever came from the factory
>> with A Roots Supercharger? Any information on this subject would be helpful.
>> am currently considering buying a 1967 MGBGT that is equipped with 3 SUs and
>> Roots setup. It's very fast, but I have some doubts as to the current
>owner's
>> statement that it came with the car from the dealer that way.
>
>>From the DEALER?  You Bet.  The Gov't could not touch a dealer for such
>goings-on on a car made before January 1, 1968.  After that...
>
>It was not a factory option to my knowledge or every autocrosser would
>have had one, believe me.

        It was not a factory option, true.  However, dealers did offer such
options - I have literature for sprites listing things like superchargers,
high compression motors, ported heads, suspension tweaks, etc as options.
The catch is that they're not factory options - they were installed by
the dealer or by people like Huffaker (sp).

        So it probably did come from the _dealer_ with a supercharger.  I
still kick myself for not buying a $300 sprite supercharger back in '82 or so,
when I was a starving student and someone else at the RPI auto shop offered
me one.

        Randell Jesup