Re: Roots Superchargers

To: jamesa@dougal.logica.co.uk (James Arnold)
Subject: Re: Roots Superchargers
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 1994 11:14:14 -0600 (CST)
James Arnold writes >

> But I'd be very interested to hear what a 3 carb setup looks like on a an B
> series head, as it only has two inlet ports. ( Or did you mean a single
> 3 inch SU? )

Let me guess:  The air first goes through the three carbs.  Then
through the Roots blower, which is connected to the B cylinder head via a
manifold similar to the one used to put one large SU on a B.  Basically a
one-into-two manifold.  So the trick is not making a manifold to fit three
carbs onto the two intake ports, the trick is maing a manifold to fit three
carbs onto the one intake for the supercharger.

I have never seen an SU run pressurized by a supercharger, and I don't
think I would want to try it.  I have seen an SU feeding a supercharger on
a prewar MG.  Roger surely has more detail on that :-)