HOWDY!

To: british cars <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: HOWDY!
From: Michael W Montoya <sven@chopin.udel.edu>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 1994 15:58:29 -0500 (EST)
        I've been reading this list for about a week now and figured it
was time to say hello.
        Unfortunately, I really don't have much experience with British
cars, other than drooling over the neighbor's XK-E.  I am kind of an old
car nut, and have lately been toying with the idea of getting some sort
of roadster in the future (I think Peter Egan did it with that TR3
article in last months Road and Track).  I'm just testing the waters now,
but I've gotten a lot of insight reading some of the discussions
here.  I've got a fair amount of experience restoring cars (I'm
working on my second '67 mustang, though it's a couple of thousand
miles from me right now), so I can generally understand what's going
on here, though I have to work on the whole boot-bonnet thing :-)
        Anyways that's my story for now.  One quick question, though.
I'm trying to get the feel of the workings of British cars and how
they differ from American cars in the design and the process of repair
and/or restoration.  I've seen a book out called "How to Restore
British Sports Cars".  Could anyone tell me if this is worth getting,
if for no other reason than to get an idea of what I'm getting myself
into, should I purchase an _insert car here_?
        Thanks, and take care,
        Mike Montoya