Clampage

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Clampage
From: Kirby Palm <palmk@freenet.scri.fsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 94 23:48:19 18000
Date:       Thu, 27 Jan 1994 14:40:49 -0500
From: Jody Levine <jody.p.levine@hydro.on.ca>
Subject: Re: help!

>The bands do sound like the ones we replaced on my Olds, though.
>The tightening bit is a little square metal loop that you're supposed
>pinch and flatten. It's not immediately obvious. This works best with
front
>cutters (like a ceramic tile biter) but we managed with regular
pliers and
>a couple of nails as spacers. You're supposed to pinch the sides of
the
>square in (near the boot), leaving the top intact. If this isn't the
right
>style of band, ignore this.

Allow me to redescribe the type band discussed here.  The band has a
series of notches that engage a couple teeth when you wrap it around
the boot.  Once you have the notches engaged on the tightest teeth you
can muster with your fingers, you then pinch this raised area in the
clamp to render it properly tight.

The reason I am writing is to add that, by far, the best tool to use
to pinch these clamps into place is the tool designed for it!  If
there is an AutoZone nearby, they will loan the tool free of charge.
If you must, the tool costs about $9.

--
                                ---  Kirbert